The vibrant city of Mumbai witnessed a remarkable surge in Properties registrations, unveiling a thriving real estate market. Knight Frank’s latest data showcases a 30.0% year-on-year growth, underlining a substantial increase from the previous year’s registrations between Navratri and Bhai Dooj.
Mumbai’s Festive Property Boom: A Detailed Analysis
Festive Surge Statistics
Knight Frank India reports a surge of 12,602 units in property registrations within Mumbai’s BMC jurisdiction, spanning from October 15 to November 15, 2023. This surge marks a significant increase from the 9,659 units registered during the same period last year, emphasizing the city’s robust real estate activity.
September’s Housing Demand
In September, the registration of properties in the Mumbai municipal area rose by an impressive 23% year-on-year, reaching around 10,600 units—the highest in a decade. This surge was attributed to a heightened demand for housing, setting a positive tone for the real estate market.
Primary and Secondary Markets
The data provided by Knight Frank pertains to both primary and secondary property markets, offering a comprehensive understanding of the overall real estate landscape in Mumbai.
Impact of the ‘Shradh’ Period
The registration process experienced a slowdown in September due to the start of the ‘shradh’ period, highlighting the cultural influences on real estate transactions.
The surge in property registrations is not only indicative of a bustling real estate market but is also expected to contribute significantly to the state government’s revenues, amounting to ₹1,127 crore.
Insights from Industry Leaders
Shishir Baijal’s Observation
Shishir Baijal, Chairman and Managing Director of Knight Frank India, shares insightful observations. “For the first nine months of 2023, we have observed a monthly average of 10,420 property transactions.” Baijal highlights the growing prominence of properties valued at Rs 1 crore and above, indicating a preference shift towards more spacious and upscale accommodations.
Amit Goyal’s Perspective
Amit Goyal, MD of India Sotheby’s International Realty, emphasizes the steady rise in Mumbai’s luxury housing market over the last three years. This trend signifies a meaningful comeback of real estate into the portfolios of ultra-high-net-worth individuals (UHNIs). Goyal anticipates the sales momentum to persist, especially in the luxury homes segment.
Registration of Properties in Mumbai: An Expert Opinion
The surge in property registrations during the festive season reflects not only a quantitative increase but also a qualitative shift in preferences. The growing demand for spacious and upscale accommodations aligns with the upward trajectory of property prices, indicating a positive outlook for the real estate market in Mumbai.
- Is the surge in property registrations only limited to new developments? The surge includes both primary and secondary property markets, encompassing a wide spectrum of real estate transactions.
- What contributed to the slowdown in registrations in September? The registration process slowed down in September due to the commencement of the ‘shradh’ period, a cultural consideration affecting transactional activities.
- How much is the expected contribution of property registrations to the state government’s revenues? Property registrations are anticipated to contribute a substantial ₹1,127 crore to the state government’s revenues.
- What is the significance of the growing prominence of properties valued at Rs 1 crore and above? This trend indicates a shift in preference towards more spacious and upscale accommodations, mirroring the rising property prices in Mumbai.
- How has the luxury housing market in Mumbai performed in recent years? According to Amit Goyal, MD of India Sotheby’s International Realty, Mumbai’s luxury housing market has been steadily rising for the last three years, making a meaningful comeback into UHNIs’ portfolios.
- Is the sales momentum expected to continue in the luxury homes segment? Yes, Amit Goyal anticipates the sales momentum to persist, especially in the luxury homes segment, signaling a positive trend in the high-end real estate market.
The surge in property registrations in Mumbai during the festive season is not just a statistical increase; it signifies a robust and evolving real estate landscape. Insights from industry leaders and experts provide a comprehensive understanding of the factors driving this surge, creating an optimistic outlook for the future of Mumbai’s real estate market.